Prof. (Dr.) Jagannibas Pal Choudhury
Campus AddressSonarpur Station Road, Kolkata - 700150 View map
Department of Information Technology (IT) was established in the year 2007 with an objective of producing high-quality professionals to meet the demands of the emerging field of Information Technology. The Department started with UG programme with an annual sanctioned intake of 60 students. Department has highly qualified and motivated faculty members. All faculty are involved in research and technical paper publications in reputed technical journals. The department is organizing conferences and workshops regularly for students and academicians in the emerging technologies.
Vision & Mission
Become a centre of excellence in academic by focusing on the career of the students and to create high quality Engineering Professionals in the IT sectors through partnership with reputed industries and academic communities for the betterment of Society.
- To provide a conducive environment that offers well balanced Information Technology education and research
- To provide training and practical experience in fundamentals and emerging technologies
- To nurture creativity for overall personality development.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
PEO1: Become competent Information Technology professionals with continuous progress in career or learning
PEO2: Design and develop computing systems using modern tools and technologies
PEO3: Function effectively as professionals in a team environment
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs):
- An ability to apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- An ability to identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- An ability to design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- An ability to use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- An ability to create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- An ability to apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- An ability to understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- An ability to apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- An ability to function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- An ability to communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- An ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- An ability to recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
The students will be able to
PSO1 – Understand and analyze the Information Technology problems and develop computer programs
PSO2 – Apply standard practices and strategies in Software Development
PSO3 – Work professionally in a team environment in IT Industry, able to achieve higher studies and develop the modern tools in the field of Information Technology.
As per WBJEE Board-2015, Candidates must pass Higher Secondary (10+2) Examination of West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education or equivalent examination from a recognized Council/Board with:
- Individual pass marks in Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with
- Minimum of 45% marks in the above subjects taken together (40% for SC/ST/PwD/OBC candidates) as well as pass in English with a minimum of 30% marks (for all categories of candidates) in the said qualifying examination.
All the candidates seeking admission in this Institute are required to qualify the Joint Entrance Examination as conducted by the W.B. Board of Joint Entrance Examinations and recommended by the Central Selection Committee.
Candidates qualifying in the JEE(Main) Examination as per regulations of the Department of Higher Education, Government of West Bengal, can also apply for admission.
Syllabi, Examination and Evaluation Procedure
The syllabi of B. Tech. programmes, examination and evaluation of all theoretical, practical, sessional and seminar subjects will be as per academic regulations of the West Bengal University of Technology.
Additional Management Inputs
Additional 150 Hours of MANAGEMENT EDUCATION input is given at a free of charge to all B. Tech. students.
The Institute is actively involved in various corporate and in-house management training programmes, for the engineering students. Training for fresh engineers is also organised.
The department is equipped with the following labs with 24×7 internet facility along with.
- Basic Computing Lab(C, C++),
- Data Structure Lab
- Computer Organization Lab
- Software Tools Lab
- Computer Architecture Lab
- Algorithm Analysis & Design Lab
- Microprocessors and Microcontrollers lab
- Object Oriented Programming(Java) Lab
- DBMS Lab
- Operating System Lab
- Computer Networking Lab
- Internet Technology Lab
- Software Engineering Lab
- E-Commerce Labs
- Design Lab
- Project Lab
The graduates of Information Technology can find employment in IT companies like TCS, Infosys, Wipro, HCL, CTS, IBM, Capgemini, ITC etc. They can also appear for competitive examinations at various public sector organisations. They can also join in the research organizations like C-DAC, TIFR, CSIR or can apply to different Universities in India and abroad for higher education like M Tech, MS, Integrated Ph D etc.
Today, we find that information technology has become overwhelmingly pervasive. An institute like FIEM continus to emphasis on the pristine science underlying the diverse aspects of information computing/processing and thus providing intellectual, highly proficient IT professionals. This is the single most important attribute of the education offered here.
There are several ways to present the canonical core of Information Technology. Over the years, we have developed distinct styles and methods that bridges between the theory and practice. Our understanding is that, persons, who are clear and thorough about the fundamentals, can adapt to rapid changes in technology relatively easily.
We believe that this approach to teaching-learning, coupled with practical experience gained during industrial training in reputed organizations, equips our students to handle the challenges posed by the IT industry.
Our Department has produced several professionals and has established a name for it in the country/abroad. They have consistently excelled in the highly competitive industrial environment. I attribute this success to the winning combination of our dedicated faculty members who works hard to impart quality education, well-planned academic curricula and last but not least, our students.
- Dr. Jaydip Nath
To know more about Bachelors of Technology inInformation Technology CourseEnquire Now